Throughout my life, I have found that it's the little things that make or break your day. Don't know why this is. It sounds silly if you sit and think about it. I enjoy those little moments of pleasure when it's something "good". Today I had one of those "good" moments and just had to share.
So...I'm in my second quarter of school. Some of my classes are new this quarter and some are the same that I have to take all 4 quarters. One of those classes I have to take all 4 quarters is venipuncture.
Now, keep in mind...our class (we are sophmores this quarter) have only done 6 draws last quarter due to mainly the holidays. Technically, we should have had 9 draws last quarter but they are letting us draw 3 more times (we draw every Friday) before we actually get a check off, which is basically like a "quiz" to show them that you know what you are doing.
So...it's been 3 weeks since we have done our last draw, due to the winter break. You can tell everyone was nervous because everyone around me tends to pick the "same" person to draw blood on because they either "know" where their veins are or they "know" that person has really good veins. Understand that if we don't get blood from that person, it's an automatic minus 40 points out of 100. So, you can understand why people get paired up with the same people all the time. Well...except me because I for some reason have this "need" for a challenge so I really like the fact of getting someone different every time. I think what it boils down to is most people are concentrating more on losing points worrying if they don't get blood. I so get that. But...I also understand that this is a learning process. This is not about just getting blood. When you are out there in a doctors office, hospital, or lab, you are going to draw from people with nice, big, juicy veins or someone who has what I call "mystery veins"...where they are deep, and they tend to roll on you. The point being is you need to learn the technique to when you come across these difficult veins, you have to problem solve in order to get that vein. And...you have to understand and accept the fact that you will not get blood 100% of the time. I know "I" get this, and I am sure others get it sort of, they just haven't stepped out of their "comfort zone" so to speak.
So, anyway...everyone knows by now who has the "most difficult veins" in class. I kinda find it funny as these people are left with no partners as everyone has already picked each other. Kinda like when you are in elementary school, and they are picking teams and you are the last one picked. I kinda feel bad for these people but, fortunately for me, it gives me the challenge that I strive for. There is one girl in particular. I will call her M. No one has yet to get blood from her. She has very deep and rolling veins. In fact, Mrs. B (our instructor) announced today that if anyone draws on her, but doesn't get blood, she will give you full credit IF you do the proper technique and you try everything possible to get that vein. M didn't have a partner so I stepped up and told her I would be her partner. Why not? As long as I do everything that I have been taught, I will get full credit. If I get blood, it would be a double bonus for me!
Well......guess what. I drew blood. WOOOT! I cannot express how I was feeling when I saw that blood go into that tube. I could hear people say with excitement...she got blood from M! It was the most satisfying feeling. I felt like I had scored a touchdown for my team. I was about to come out of my skin and scream with excitement. I had the biggest adrenaline rush imaginable, as it took me several minutes to stop shaking so I could label my tube and complete my paperwork...LOL
I took the step to come out of my comfort zone when no one else would. I DID THAT! This is HUGE for me. I use to be at a level where most people are. This is a learning process. This isn't about pass or fail. If you take the easy route all the time, you will never stumble and fall, and learn along the way. This little thing made my entire day. What a great feeling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





That's AWESOME Renee!! You go girl! :D :D :D
ReplyDeleteI'm one of those ones that nobody wants to draw blood from LOL I'm a pain. So I guess next time I'll just come and look you up instead ;)
(((hugs)))