Search & Win

Swidget 1.0 3

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cabin Fever

I think the title says it all. Every year I suffer from this like most people do who live in cold winter climates. I have wondered about how people do it that go to school and take online classes. I know personally, if I couldn't go out of the house to go to school, I would be totally going insane right now. I think getting out of the house every morning is what gives me the distraction that I need so I don't fall into a deep "cabin fever" depression. Having that said, I do feel the effects of cabin fever early on this year due to the wicked winter we have had this season so far. But, I have noticed something different about it this season than seasons in the past. For some odd reason, I have more "energy" and I have actually lost some weight since I started school September 29th. 16 pounds to be exact as I weighed myself at school (such a HUGE benefit I get for being in the field I am because we have about 10 doctor scales in our nursing art lab rooms). I haven't done anything really to "try" to lose weight and it's probably the first time I have actually lost weight without trying. The only thing I have done differently is eat breakfast earlier and go to school. I had to force myself to eat within an hour of waking up because that is the only time I have time to eat breakfast. It was actually a huge change for me, but it seems like such a simple change. The second thing is getting out of the house, 5 days a week to go to school. I pull around a small carry on suitcase to fit all my books and folders that weigh about 500 pounds...lol. I have 4 classes a day, each class runs an hour long with a 10 min break inbetween. I usually have a snack that I either bring with me to school, or I buy a fiber one bar out of the school's vending machine since it is the ONLY close to healthy thing that they put in there. I usually eat my snack after 2nd hour which is around 10:00. Then, after school is out at around noon, I come home, eat lunch and start my homework before the girls come home from school. I usually get on the computer when I take a break from homework to "recharge" my brain, and then I go back and work on it some more. After the girls are home, I help with their homework and prepare and eat dinner, clean up, do the bedtime routine, and then spend about an hour to myself getting ready to do it all over again the next day. This was basically what I did before I started school except the first half of my day. That is really the only part I have changed, and as a result I FEEL better than I ever had in YEARS! Just a small routine mix up can really make a difference if you are ever in a slump. Or, if you are like me who has a hard time with change, give yourself something that forces you to make your schedule a little different. If I would have thought that changing my schedule up would help me lose weight and give me more energy, I would have done this a LONG time ago! Somehow, I was able to kickstart my metabolism, and everything about me...my weight, energy level, mind, esteem, had all changed for the better. Who would have thunk? LOL I haven't changed much in the way I have eaten because honestly I eat pretty well and eat well within my portions with food. Yes...I do have my sweets here and there and my beloved Starbucks Grande Decaf Cinnamon Dolce latte about once or twice a week...LOL But....now I am beginning to think...what would happen if I added a little more exercise to my routine or cut out my sweets to a bare minimum or cut my Starbucks back to one every two weeks. Ok...well...maybe not my Starbucks...LOL but if these little changes that I have made made a noticable difference in myself, I can only imagine what would happen if I continued to add a little more positive changes to my life.

Recognizing these little changes has really given me the motivation to do more. Not just to lose weight but for my self esteem and energy level to do well in life. I am almost certain that these changes have helped with the cabin fever. I just wished I had done it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment