Did you instantly think of the musical? Well, it's not quite like the musical.
When I first moved to Michigan from California...oh..almost 20 years ago, there was definately a culture change. People talked different, the weather was different...it was like a totally different world. Definately a different kind of living. Lots of trees, 4 seasons, lots of snow (well, long winters anyway), it was definately different than the 2 seasons you get in California: Warm weather and fog, and little less warm and fog. But...they both had 1 thing in common. They both have the WORST drivers!
Now after living here in Oklahoma for 5 months, I have noticed that OK has not lived up to it's "stereotypes". No, everyone here doesn't wear cowboy hats, ride on horses, run for shelter from tornadoes everyday, and have accents..well..the accents is true but everything else is quite "exaggerated".
What I have been most amazed about this state is the people. The people here are so down to earth, more relaxed, and just overall the most friendly people I have ever met. You go to the corner store and they address you by your first name as if they had known you your entire life. Oh! And did I mention that here you actually have considerate drivers? Everyone stays in there lane, lets you in when you need to merge, no one is trying to cut you off. When I first moved here, I was so used to driving defensively that I am sure others on the road thought I may have been drunk or crazy. But, at first I am sure they understood once they saw my Michigan drivers plate that there was no need for explaination.
First thing I noticed about Oklahoma was the variety of food places. Oh. My. Gawd. If you are a person who has "OCD" tendencies on where to eat, I advise you to stay far away from this state. You would go hungry due to the inability to make up your mind.
If you think it doesn't snow here, you better think again. I do believe though that some of the people here are thankful that I brought the snow with me...or maybe that was their kids? Either way, this last winter, Oklahoma broke the record books with the most amount of snowfall my first winter here. Go figure.
I DO however, have a new favorite season. SPRING! It is soooooo beautiful here in the spring! Not only does it look like spring, it actually lasts more than a week! Unlike Michigan where you may miss it if you blink going from winter to summer. Here, it is April and the trees leaves here are almost in full bloom. You don't see that until late May in Michigan.
We have had a few thunderstorms, but nothing major so far. April is tornado season and so far it's been quiet...for now.
The only thing I have not liked about Spring here is the red ants and the huge spiders that look like baby truantulas. I have noticed the further the south you go, the bigger the bugs. But, for me, it's all worth it. I really love this state. Did you know my dad was born here? He would be thrilled to know that I have moved to his home state if he were still here with us today.
So, there you have it. My view of Oklahoma. I am sure there will be more to come as I discover more throughout the year. So far, I'm lovin it!





No comments:
Post a Comment