Search & Win

Swidget 1.0 3

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Better late than never!

WOW! I can't believe how long it's been since I have updated my blog! LOL So much has happened since then. Where do I start?

Let's see. I'll start with that I am no longer a truckers wife! YAY! For many countless reasons, we both decided that Dave getting off the road would be the best thing for "us" as a family. It has probably been one of the BEST decisions we have made in a long time. Not only was it deteriating his health, but I think our whole family's emotional well being as well.

Once we made the decision of him getting off the road, we had to make another big decision. Stay in Michigan or move out of state. We knew that if we stayed in Michigan, we would be deeper in the hole. Local jobs were non exisitant and the only way for Dave to get a more stable job that allows him home every night, was to move out of state. So, we did! November, 2009. We live in the heart of tornado alley. Dave's home state of Oklahoma. Oklahoma....why do you ask? Well, there are LOTS of reasons. Mainly it was to be near family. We both have missed having family around and felt that we were depriving the girls of growing up knowing any of the extended family. So, it made total sense for us. It also brought me closer to my sister, who lives in New Mexico just outside of Alberquerque which is only about 500 miles away. I am excited to know that I will be seeing her very soon (in May). I have not seen my sister in over 10 years.

Oklahoma isn't the only exciting thing though. My oldest, Ashley, graduated high school last year in June 2009 (gosh, it HAS been a long time since I have updated!), and is now an art student at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit. Yes, she did stay in Michigan of course but its really not a bad thing. She is doing what she loves and got into the school that she had dreamed about going into. Our good friends in Michigan are looking out for her including her dad and all that side of her family as well. It was good to know that when we left, she would be looked out for. I miss her like crazy like any mom would but I couldn't be any more proud.

September, 2009, I graduated from Carnegie and received my diploma for medical assisting! I had started my externship back in Michigan, but due to the move, I was only able to complete about 50 hours out of the 160 hours I needed to do, however, thanks to my most wonderful SIL, who just happened to work for a pediatric pulmonologist, I was able to complete the rest of my 110 hours of externship at her office. I finished in January, 2010, and took my certification exam in February. I am happy to say that I passed with flying colors and am now Renee Melton, CMA(AAMA).

Both Andria and Aleia have adjusted beautifully to their new schools here and have made lots of friends. Andria's OCD/Anxiety has been almost non existant since we have moved here. They both have there own rooms now which gives them some space. They SO needed this! The house we rent is twice the size of what we were renting back in Michigan and we pay about the same in rent. How crazy is that? Plus, our house is on 1.78 acres of land with mostly trees on the property. LOTS of room to do so much, especially with Spring being here! We are in the works of building a vegetable garden and the girls are getting ready to plant pumpkin seeds to grow pumpkins for the state fair. We also planted a couple of blueberry bushes but found out afterward that we already have blueberry bushes on the property! LOL You can never have enough blueberries, IMO.

Dave is working for a major grocery warehouse as a "yard dog". I am sure my fellow trucker wives know what a yard dog is but for those who don't know. He moves trailers all day in the docks. He absolutely LOVES his job! It pays pretty good, but his schedule is the best. His shift is 1pm-9pm. He gets to see off the girls in the morning, and tuck them in bed at night. He has every Saturday and Monday off which works great for us.

As for me, I am still looking for work, but in the meantime, I am going to continue on my journey at school. I will be taking classes this summer, getting some of my pre-requisites out of the way as I make my way into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. It will be an associates degree, so its something very doable. It's very similiar to the program I was going to do back in Michigan after I got my CMA but instead of just doing ultrasounds of the heart, this sonography program is for the entire body. Here in Oklahoma, they don't have a program for CVT's, unless I attend the University of Oklahoma. So, for now I will take as many classes as I can while in the meantime, looking for a job. Apparently, just like Michigan, there is a surplus of medical assistants here so its very competitive and most want experience.

Well, I think that about sums it up. Next time I will try not to procrastinate so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment